Thursday

Adventures in Missing The Point



I don’t know about you but I’m not too pleased when somebody corrects me or tells me I’m wrong . . . especially when it’s not obvious to me. You must distance yourself from that mindset if you’re going to dive into “Adventures in Missing The Point: How The Culture-Controlled Church Neutered the Gospel.”
According to Tony Campolo and Brian McLaren, Christ–followers have missed the point of the Gospel they are called to share. Believers have mistaken the Bible for just an answer book, seen salvation as celestial fire insurance and equated worship with warm fuzzy feelings. The authors believe the emerging postmodern culture has now provided the church an opportunity to revisit these topics and discover what the Gospel really entails.
Topics covered are related to religious philosophy, society and personal spirituality. They include: missing the point of salvation, the Bible and worship and missing the point on postmodernism, women in church leadership, etc. Some of the chapters are more mundane while others scream controversial. In each chapter, one of them presents his perspective and the other then briefly agrees or disagrees in an afterthought. I find it so easy to rely on what I’ve been told to believe as a child or what is widely accepted by the Christian community. The challenge to take an honest look at our beliefs and truly question their origin is not an easy one to make. You must ask yourself, is what you believe biblical or just cultural or a mixture of both? Is it possible to be critical and constructive at the same time?

Some believers may think the authors have “missed the point” by their blatant refusal to bow down at the altar of sacred cow doctrines openly questioning their validity. The authors intention is to stir up some unspoken thoughts in order for them to become a part of a lively discussion rather than provide a theological dissertation. Reading this book was definitely worthwhile! Although I don’t agree with everything they say or how they said it, it certainly provoked me to think a little more about what I say I believe and why I believe — a spiritual necessity for the discerning Christ-follower!

This book is 20% off here.

This review was submitted by Dale Lewis who works at the EFCA & attends Hope Church in Oakdale, MN.

Category: Emergent

No comments: